Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 22


This is one idea I wanted to avoid for most of my adult life...the idea that my health could affect my happiness.
As a teenager I loved living on pies and coke, with instant pudding and ice cream chasers…
As an adult I wanted to eat a Cookie Time Cookies everyday for the rest of life, plus whatever else took my fancy!
After I got married I really enjoyed stuffing myself with toasted cheese sandwiches every single day!
I hoped that having a relationship with God would cover this issue for me and take away the issues it raised…

The reality is that having a somewhat healthy life, does translate into a somewhat happier life.
While God doesn’t tell us what weight to be or what fitness level to go for directly, He does drop some big hints for us on health.

He tells that us that our bodies are the temple of His spirit. That we have some obligation to make the most of this shell entrusted to us.

Paul tells Timothy one day to drink some wine for his stomach problems. Must have been a help to what he had, otherwise he wouldn’t have suggested it.
And I bet you $100 that Timothy probably had lots of prayer over this problem...
Sometimes there seems to be something we can do.

Maybe what we can do as we look after our bodies, is see that as honouring the one who made them?

If you are not that healthy and by that you are not so happy…don’t beat yourself over it!
Recognise this ‘thought’ for what it is...something to encourage you to try and change. Grab someone who could help you, and ask for them to help you!

Maybe you are someone who has battled this and won, well guess what?...you can help someone else now!

Something challenging to think about…

No comments: