Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Topping

You would never know by looking at me that I grew up on a farm...
Farming and I were never destined to be a lifelong match so I decided as a teenager to be a Rockstar instead. Funny how now I am a Pastor of a cool Church here in Taupo.

When I was growing up on a farm, as soon as I could reach the pedals on a tractor I was put on one for hours a day.
I did every type of field tractor work there was including ‘topping’.
Topping is when you drive around cutting all the heads of the grass seed with a mowing type attachment.

One of these times I had just about completed a whole paddock after several hours, and briefly looked behind me to admire my handiwork. I loved seeing the mowing patterns made and took pride in how tidy I could make them.
Unfortunately I misjudged the gateway being so distracted and managed to mow right through a concrete fence post.

There is an old proverb that goes... ‘Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you’.
Great advice for ‘topping’ and for life!
As you enter a new year it is best I think to leave the old one behind.
In fact it is best to leave your past in the past.
You could even take it a step further and fix your gaze on Jesus in 2012...I bet you would never regret it!

Something to think about…

No comments: