Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jealous

I have lost count of the times in my life when I have been jealous…

Jealous of the kid at school whose parents had a video player when we didn’t.
Jealous of the kid whose parents bought them a Rubik's cube while they were overseas.
Jealous of the kid who could play a sport better than me or get a higher score on calculator spacies.
Jealous of the guy who was going out with the girl I liked.
Jealous of someone else’s guitar.
Jealous of the opportunities someone seemed to be getting over me.
Jealous of the friend who was leading a bigger church than me...

It doesn’t matter who you are or how long you have wondered this earth, we all have the ability to get jealous.

So what is the cure to this thing?
What should we do when the ‘green eyed monster’ is coming up from inside of us?

It is not just a matter of telling yourself to stop it or even pretending to not be jealous and lie to yourself.
I believe we have 2 cool options.
I try to use them whenever I can.

Opposite.
I have found reacting in the opposite way to how my jealousy wants to take me has an amazing effect.
For example, if someone is doing apparently better than me...I pray and thank God that He has blessed them, even asking Him to do so even more.
It changes my heart and it will change your heart!

Motivate.
I have found other jealousy can motivate me in some way. My example here is really simple…
If someone is able to do something you can’t do, don’t get bitter about it. Let it motivate you to work harder or do something so you can grow and improve.
Maybe you are jealous of someone having a great
relationship with God? Or maybe you are jealous of what they can do in God?

Well let it help motivate you to press into Him yourself.
Do someone with it.
Don’t let the jealousy do something to you...

Something to think about…

No comments: