Wednesday, March 30, 2011

advice

I sat in a café recently working away on some ideas for our Church...and as much as I tried to ignore it, I couldn’t help but overhear another conversation. I was trying to pretend I couldn’t hear them. I don’t think I was pretending that well… It was between what looked like 3 generations of ladies from one family. A grandmother, a mother and a daughter. It seemed to be all about the daughters relationship issues. The older two were trying to help the younger with advice. To which the younger one answered everything with “but”. We are all like that though aren’t we? We all want to give advice and not so easily and readily do we accept. Moses father in law came to visit him one day and saw from an outsiders point of view how Moses could actually do some things better. So he gave some advice. Why, not because he was a know it all, but because he cared. Moses took the advice and things went better. Hence proving it was indeed some good advice. In fact good advice is only good advice if you do something with it. Someone else I know went to give another cyclist some good advice...and the other person got a little agitated back at them. Sometimes good advice and good intentions are not always accepted. My encouragement to you is to accept good advice when it comes your way. Yes check it out...but do so from a heart that wants to grow, not some arrogance that everyone else is wrong. The Bible even tells us that to be wise you need advisors. People who want the best for you and are willing to tell you straight seasoned with some love of course. Take a chance and let others into your world to grow and expand your world... Something to think about…

No comments: