Wednesday, March 02, 2011

family

I was thinking this week about ‘Church people’...and in particular those of that group who are really happy to attend every Church they possible can.
In the last couple of weeks we have had many tell us they attend this Church and that Church, and now ask “can we come and join your Church” kind of thing.

To be honest I have changed.

I used to say things like…
“that is great”
“happy you can be part of the body like that”
“great to get some variety I guess”

Now I certainly don’t think like that.
And before you stone for me being biased or having an agenda let me share a simple thought on this…

The Bible refers to us as a family. Jesus family that will one get to spend eternity with God doing whatever he has planned for us to do in eternity.
Until then we have Churches all around the world.
Small ones, big ones...every different combination and style you could ever dream up.
Some are loud, others quiet...and some even cuddle snakes (don’t get me started on that one!).

I belong to a family as well.
The McNeill family.
My immediate family is myself, Suze, Jack & Alex.
That’s the family that God has blessed me with.

I also have an extended family.
My Mum, Dad, Sister, Aunts, Uncles...you get the idea…
I don’t see them as much as my immediate family but they are still part of the ‘family’.

If I spent all my time with the extended family, going from place to place, event to event...I would still have an immediate family, but the relationship I could have had would be less than it could be.

I have learnt that the immediate family that God has given me is the one that takes priority.
They are there to be my biggest support.
They are there for me to give my best to as well.

Church is the same my friend.
Yes, hang out with other Churches, with the extended family sometimes. It is good.
But I think we all need an immediate family to commit to called your local Church.
If you haven’t done it yet...pick one.
Commit to the family God has for you.
You won’t regret it!

Something to think about…

No comments: