Wednesday, June 23, 2010

confess

In a movie I watched over the last few days, a very young and inexperienced priest kept asking an old man to come to confession.
He wanted the old guy to ‘confess’.
The old guy tells him go away...not so nicely!
Over the course of the movie things changes for both people. Until one day he confesses
He doesn’t confess what the priest was expecting, but things that had been bothering him for many decades.
Apparently he felt heaps better afterwards?

We all have secrets don’t we?
Even today as I drove around, a lady was talking on the radio about the fact she had an abortion when she was 17 and the fact that her husband still doesn’t know.

I have secrets too…
Things I try to hide.

Now you are probably going to keep reading this hoping I am going to confess to some life shattering sin?
Well today when I was out I bought a sausage roll.
I made sure I ate it before I got home so my wife wouldn’t find out about it.
I regularly ‘sneak’ chocolate out of the cupboard in my office, which sits directly behind me even now as I type…
The problem is that I am hiding something that will eventually get found out anyway...when my body gives me away!

In James 5 it talks about “confessing your sins to each other and praying for each other so that you may be healed.”
Now me confessing bad eating habits won’t stop me getting fat, but it may have other positive outcomes.

Guilt sucks when it comes to the things we try and hide.
It saps the life out of you.
It can get you so distracted you can go off course.

Maybe you need some confession time?
If you do find someone you can really trust.
Confess and get it off your chest.
Let them pray for you.
And get healed from the guilt that might be eating at you?

If that is not you...remember to have some grace for those you know struggling with some stuff right now...

Something to think about…

1 comment:

Mike Ardern said...

enjoying your blog posts Locky. Thanks for your thoughts-on-screen :-)

Catch up next time I'm down your way.
MA