Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Maybe I was little influenced by the event we hosted last night, but I have been thinking about common phrases we use when we pray.

One I have thought about for some time is one that talks about hedges.
Do you know the one I mean?
Where people pray that God would build a hedge around someone.

When you think about it, it does seem a little strange…
A hedge is a collection of closely planted trees or shrubs that interlink to form a wall of plants.
Why would you pray that someone has a wall of shrubs around them?

It is actually in the Bible.
Amazing aye?

If you look in the first chapter of Job you see this amazing story of God and satan having a conversation.
They are talking about a guy called Job and how honourable and blessed he is.
Satan challenges God as part of this conversation.
“Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has?” Job 1:10 niv

Hedge is all about protection.
A hedge can give you shelter from storms.
A hedge can give you shade from heat.
A hedge can protect you from attack.
And a hedge can keep what you have from disappearing.

God hadn’t just build a physical hedge around Job and all he had. It was a spiritual hedge.
A circle of his protection around all he was and had.
So I think it is a cool thing to pray for someone or even yourself.

Why don’t you pray that for someone today.
Why don’t you pray it for yourself and your family.
That God would hedge you or someone else about.

Something to think about...

1 comment:

Fitness 4 U said...

Hey Locky,

Nice word! I like it. Yes I have thought about the whole Hedge of protection thing before but not the way you put it. Thanks for that. Has made me think more about praying that for myself Sally family and friends.