Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Why is it so hard to find time for some things?
Like time to clean up something we should have done months ago…
Like catching up with a friend that you keep thinking would be a good idea to catch up with…
What about time to pray?

Most of us consider our lives to be really busy, with not much room to add anything into them.
When people ask me how I am...I seem programmed to reply “really busy!”
But am I really busy and or am I really good at looking busy and feeling busy?

Being busy can help you feel good.
It can reinforce feelings of meaning, feelings of your life being important.
It can help hide issues in our lives we don’t want to face.
It can mask guilt.
It can even be a drug...
I know for me, I have often made myself busy to make sure I don’t feel guilty about not being busy enough...aaaah!

A negative about busyness is that it will eventually rob you!
I guarantee it!!!
It robs me of the most important things in life.
Robs me of my time, family, friends and eventually God...
It will make you so tired that eventually you can’t even stay awake to pray.

Some people like to use passages of scripture like the following to explain about our prayer life...
Then he (Jesus) returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Matthew 26:40-41
I didn’t think Jesus was religious about his prayer life.
What we do know is that Jesus made sure he did take time out to pray.
To seek God. To be in his presence.
No matter how crazy things got he never got too busy to pray.

Many years ago there was a christian ministry called the Change the World School of Prayer.
They essentially went around teaching people why they should pray. How to pray. That sort of thing.
I remember a promo clip they had really well...because it was so embarrassing.
They promoted that if you came to the course they ran, not only would you get a work book...but you would also get a free plastic bag.
This bag wasn’t amazing or anything. It was like a shopping bag from Foodtown.
Hardly anything to get excited about.

But I did learn something from my day of lectures…
That God has designed it so when we get together to pray about anything he promises to do a few things.
One, hear us.
Two, be there.
Three, do something.

I think that is awesome!
Maybe, just maybe, that might give that little bit more encouragement to come pray with us tomorrow morning?
Or to pray sometime today?

Something to think about...

No comments: