Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I have probably said this before, but I am always surprised about what I find in the Bible…
Even in places I have read many times, I find phrases or ideas that I have never seen before.
Things that jump out at me...things that suddenly have more meaning…

Like today I read this in what I was reading:

Mark 10:29-30
"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life.

On one hand it is really encouraging.
But on the other hand it mentions persecutions.
Seemingly not very encouraging...

So God tells us he will bless us, but we will be persecuted even more.
So then do I want to be blessed?
Of course I do!

The reality is that our faith costs us something.
But that cost is never more than what we have gained.
100 times more than what I am giving up goes along to cover the persecutions or struggles I may face.
I still think it is the best deal for me.

The early disciples loved this concept.
No they weren’t sicko’s looking for punishment!
They learned that to become mature you need to go through some things to help you mature.

Consider what James & Paul wrote…

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Romans 5:3-5
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

I’ll be honest with you…I don’t like pain, discomfort, persecutions and all that stuff.
But I will gladly go through it if they help me become more mature.
If they help me grow in my faith.

My flesh wants the easy path in my walk with God.
My spirit wants to pay the cost so that I inherit everything God has promised.

Paul says this amazing statement that I will leave with you...

Philippians 1:21
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Something to think about...

No comments: