Thursday, April 03, 2008

Here I was last night at the gym sweating up a storm…
And a guy comes over to me, mentions my name, and asks how my workout is going…
And guess what? I haven’t got a clue who he is….
(note - if you are that guy, please accept my apologies for not knowing who you are. But know that I appreciated you asking!)

This of course got me thinking, as I racked my brains to where he knows me from…maybe church, maybe somewhere else...
I wondered how many other people during the day notice me, even without saying, and what they might think when they see me.

What about you?
This is probably happening to you as well many times a day without you even noticing. Scary thought really! Does this mean that our lives are really ‘on show’ to others around us, even if we don’t want them to be?

We quote a Bible verse a lot from Hebrews, and many interpret it to refer to angels and even people already gone to heaven. But I have been wondering if it refers to more than that?
It simply says “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Hebrews 12:1 niv)

I think that great cloud includes people here and now. Not just those far away or in some spiritual realm. It is the people your presence passes near everyday.
Our world is looking for truth.It wants to know what we stand for.
How we live is way more open and exposed than we probably realise.

But that is a good thing as well!
It means that the love of God that rests on, and moves through those who love him, will be seen by our world without us trying too hard.
In another place in the Bible it likens our lives to a lamp. A lamp that God wants exposed to the world, because the light of our lives is supposed to shine everywhere it possibly can.

Something to think about?

1 comment:

Nell Porter said...

wow, this random girl yelled hello to me today... i have no idea who she is! it got me thinking along the same lines as you, but also got me thinking about how many christians put on a facade to appear to be "Godly" and i thought about how many of those christians i'd come across and how pompous they seemed. they set out with a mission to appear righteous to the world, but in the process they forgot to show Love... which is pretty much Jesus tag line yeah? and that is MY simple thought :-)