Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It seems Christmas is a ‘deadline’ time of the year.
We treat it as such a pivotal moment of our calendar, not necessarily because of the meaning of
Christmas but because of it’s position on our calendars.

Recently we had the roof replaced on the church building because it was so rusty you could even get wet coming to church.
The goal was to have it complete way before Christmas, and we have signed off completion today!
For me personally I have a number of goals...which all have to be complete you guessed it…before Christmas.

Many people have lots left to do before the magical Christmas date…
Whether it be getting their car fixed, buying presents or even visiting the dentist.
Many companies that I deal with are sending me Christmas type cards, pushing me to get in quick with orders before they shut early for Christmas.

Now add to that mix all your normal day to day activities…
Now add to that planning for Christmas day with family and who needs what, and who we are
giving this and that to…
Now add to that preparations for Christmas services…
….ahhhh….stop the bus...I want to get off.

No don’t panic I am not that bad.
I have learnt that I have a pace that I can go over this time of year. That has come from over
doing it many times over many years. I have learnt that I have the power to control how I behave and feel leading up to Christmas. That power does not belong to anyone else!

1 Timothy 4:16
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both
yourself and your hearers.

It is one of the few Bible verses I know that talks about saving yourself…
So how? Very simply this is talking about keeping a close eye on yourself (not other people).
Are you doing too much? Are you organized? Are needing more sleep? Are neglecting time with God in prayer and his word? When was the last time you hung out with other disciples?
All stuff that you are qualified to answer for yourself.

If you want a Christmas time with less stress...look at yourself and do what you need to do…
Look after yourself.
Enjoy the Season, don’t just survive it!

No comments: