Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I regularly head to Queen Street in Auckland City to meet up with people or even just to have some time to think.
There is something about wandering around a city’s main street, hanging out in its main square, that really helps you connect with what is happening in the city.

This week I was supposed to be meeting someone for lunch on Queen Street.
The thing is, that at the same time a parade was going to be happening.
Now normally that wouldn’t bother me except this parade was a little different.
It’s title should tell you everything...“Boobs on Bikes”.
For those not familiar with the term ‘Boobs’, it very simply means topless ladies on the back of motorbikes.
Apparently it is promote women’s equality, but most of us know it was to promote the Erotica Show happening a few days later.

It really challenged my thinking.
Could I go to Queen Street for legitimate reasons and not be caught up in this?
If someone saw me, would they conclude I was there for the parade?

I realised again that it didn’t matter what my honorable intentions were or how pure my motives…
If someone saw me they would make judgments. They might even think I was there for the parade.

It reminds me of a few passages of scripture…

1 Corinthians 10:23
"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial.

1 Timothy 4:16
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

The Bible also goes on to say that I shouldn’t do something that might cause others to fall over.

Part of the challenge for us a disciples is that our lives are not one of isolation.
What we do and the choices we make can have a dramatic affect on other peoples lives.

When I was a youth pastor many years a go a learnt this lesson.
I used to work long hours and had very little time to myself. Generally that time was a Saturday afternoon.
To help unwind I would sit down in front of the TV and watch whatever was on.
One of the programmes screening at the time was Beverley Hills 90210. Please don’t think I was a fan, it was just something to watch (before they started sleeping with each other).
I never told anyone what I did on this afternoons. Didn’t think there was anything to report.

Then one day a girl from the youth group had a fight with her mum.
It was over what she watched on TV on Saturday afternoons. Her mum didn’t want her to watch 90210. To which the girl replied...“if Locky can watch it, then I should be able to as well!”
I never told anyone I watched it, but people knew. People notice things in our lives that we think don’t matter.

So with all that in mind I changed my plans. I asked to meet somewhere else.
Yes it was going to make it harder, but at least I could have a clear conscience over what I was doing!

No comments: