Thursday, April 27, 2006

When I was fairly new to this 'christian' thing, someone said something to me that really bothered me!
There was a group of us travelling in my car to an event. Me and my best mate in the front and two young ladies in the back. We were talking about how we had recently made 'decision's for Christ' and they replied...
"how cute, we just love baby christians"

I just about stopped the car and kicked them out...but was too much of a gentlemen.

The thing is, it doesn't matter how long you have been a christian or where you are at in your journey with God...we are all the same. Yes, our knowledge and experience levels might be different, but God loves us as equals.

A short time later something cool happened!
I was sitting reading my Bible at someone's house while I waited for them.
Reading through 1 Timothy, I came across some verses that changed my life and influenced my thinking, also who I was as a christian forever (1 Tim 4:12-14)!
It had such an impact on me that day that I could tell you where I was, what time of the day, what couch I was sitting on....you get the picture.

Part of that scripture goes like this.
1 Timothy 4:12 (niv)
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

What God is saying is that it doesn't matter if you are young or new to christianity. We are called to the same thing.
We are called to live our lives as examples to others, even those who we think may be more 'sprititual' than us.
The phrase "Don't let anyone look down on you" can also be interepted "Do stuff so that it causes people to look at you differently".
You don't have to have 20 years of experience to be an example for other christians!
Don't be who people expect you to be, do what you think God expects you to be.
That is why as a so called young christian I went for it. Studied what I could. Changed the course of my life...because God said I could.

God is encouraging us to let all of our life be an example. That God can use all of us to help others.
God is saying that you can be like this. It is not just a pipe dream. God doesn't say stuff to us that is not possible.

Remember to be who God has called you to be...

No comments: