Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Dr John Dancing Machine

I remember one particular Sunday when I was leading a Delirious Song called I Could Sing Unending Songs. It had a fun kind of country feel which is not my normal go-to genre, but it was pumping along and people were really enjoying it.
Dr John seemed to be into it pretty passionately. And I don't know why, but we ended up inviting him onto the stage...

Due to his age and frailty someone thought it wise to place a chair for him to rest upon.
But Dr John wasn't having any of that! As the song kicked back into life, he leaped on top that chair and started dancing.
I started to freak out that in that moment we would witness the demise of this dear man of God. Failing off, breaking his hip, or maybe even worse?
You will be pleased to know nothing bad happened.
And it left an indelible mark on my memories.

You need to understand that Dr John was alive during the London Blitz of World War II.
Even though as the years passed and he seemed to be more frail, his love for Jesus never seemed to waver one little bit.
Every year his pants seemed to be higher and higher up his body. But every year he was just as passionate for God and the Kingdom as ever.
He spoke about it to everyone.
Was encouraging to everyone.
Turned up to every meeting.
Got involved it seemed in every opportunity.
He had a special impact on me as he always and I mean always had a story, a word of encouragement for me!

As I drove home last night from a meeting my mind drifted back to that worship time and his life as I considered what being passionate for the Kingdom looks practically like.
He so aptly portrayed an entire life lived it seemed to me for Christ.
He never lost his passion or what the Bible describes as "zeal".

If you are a believer reading this today I want to implore you to be passionate for the Kingdom of God.
Jesus showed how much zeal He had for it by giving His life for us, rising from the dead to give us victory over death, inviting us to partner with Him.
John 2:17 records Jesus disciples describing him as being full or consumed with zeal for the Kingdom.
Romans 12:11 tells us "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."

Today throw off your doubts, disappointments and debts!
Get up on your chair on a stage and dance!
Don't worry if it freaks others out...their discomfort at your zeal could be the encouragement they need today?
Get up and be a dancing machine like Dr John!

Something to think about...

PS If you read this, dance and break anything including your hip - sorry! LOL



No comments: