Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Trying to Breath?

Have you ever had that sensation where you were out of breath?
If you have you will know it is not the most pleasant!

I remember having croup as a young kid, waking up in a panic struggling to breath, finding it nearly impossible to call out to my mum for help.
I remember getting 'winded' playing sport, lying on the ground struggling to get another breath of air in. Like my body had forgotten how to breath on its own.
In the last few years I learned I have the occasional sleep apnea, where I stopped breathing properly, walking up panicked gasping for air.

I have been thinking today about this for a very specific and different reason.
As someone doing all I can to follow Jesus, I need to breath.
And I am not just talking about the natural breath we take for granted that will naturally flow in and out. I am referring to the very Spirit of God in my life.

God's Word speaks clearly that the Spirit of God is like a wind.
Both the Old and New Testaments speak in those terms with the ruwach and pneuma to describe the Spirit of God.
The Holy Spirit is to your walk with Christ like the very air your breath. Without air your struggle to survive and I would say it is the same with the Spirit of God. It is hard to follow Jesus, impossible to see His power in and through us, without the abiding breath of God.
Just as God breathed life into Adam on the day he first came alive, God wants to breath upon you by His Spirit so that you in turn come alive.

Can I encourage you this week to ask the breath of God to fill you each and every moment of each and every day?
Ask Him in the morning before you rise.
Ask Him in the evening before you retire.
You don't have to continue to struggle to breath any longer!

Something to think about...

No comments: