Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Thanks for asking what I did in the weekend...

Sorry about the title, just trying to get your attention to tell you what I did over the weekend because it was pretty cool!

This was the 3rd year in a row I have had the privilege of being part of something called Easterfest.
It is this amazing Easter weekend adventure in Taupo where Taupo Churches including our own Elim Church, join forces to do something bigger together than what we could do apart.
From what we know so far, it appears that this was our biggest event yet.

I have been reflecting today on why this event 'worked' and thought I would share those ideas.
Maybe there is something you can take from it personally or for in your own Church circles?

People respond to a vision
We had a guest speaker for our Sunday night who is a very sort after man. When I sent a simple email asking him to come he replied in less than an hour saying yes. That was a huge shock to me!
When we finally got to talk on Sunday I asked why he responded?
His answer was nice and simple - vision!
Even though my sentences were short on ultimate detail, he saw the vision and that is what God used to stir his heart to come.

Do you have a vision for something special in God?
Share it with others not worrying about all the detail and see who joins with you.
Have you been stirred by someone else's vision?
Can I encourage you join in on it and let God take you on an adventure you could never have possibly dreamed up for yourself.


People respond to something bigger
Some people think it is not spiritual but I disagree...
We are pre-wired I believe to want to part of something bigger, something that matters, something of significance. I love being a following of Jesus in part because I am now part of something huge called the Kingdom of God.
People were drawn to Easterfest in the 1000's because it was big.
It was bigger than my Church right now and I am ok with that.
It also gave I believe an opportunity for our people to have a vision about what God could do in each Churches, if people bought into the vision of reaching the world.


People respond to the gospel
Most of our weekend was based around the basics of our faith centred on the death and resurrection of Christ. And 1000's came to listen, to watch and experience.
Did they come because it was the best? Not sure that was the key. I think God blessed us because we focused on the gospel first and entertainment second. We lifted Him up first and foremost.

If you want to help others connect with God, don't panic about proving how cool, popular or knowledgeable you are. Focus first on the gospel and see what God does with that?

Something to think about...

And see you at Easterfest in 2019!


No comments: