Wednesday, October 12, 2016

What is God looking for? Part 2

A new season began of multi-sport events for me this week.
I always look forward to it, but a bit of nervousness is always peppered into the equation.
That is because I am very competitive with myself. And I know it will hurt - but in a good way.

As the starter sent us off for race 1 of the series, I kept telling myself to run my own race.
I took the run leg a little slower than I could have, or how I had in the past.
When the cycle leg started I held back and looked around at how best to strategise where I would pass or let others dictate the pace. Then when the final run leg was happening I tried to not let others dictate my pace and just ran to do the best I could. Giving it a good kick in the final 50 meters to pass another competitor.

Normally I wouldn't do it that way.
Normally I would just go as hard as a can for as long as I can.
I would try and stay in front of others out of fear of being passed. And if they did pass me I would then die a little inside and back off.

I believe that God is looking to see how we will run our race of faith. He has the best seat in the universe to watch us out there on the field of endeavour.

All through scripture 'the race' is linked to living our life of faith in Christ. Paul mentions it many times and uses it as an analogy on how we should approach it.

I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me. Acts 20:24 niv

We are running to finish. Never just to participate.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? 
Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24 niv

We are running to win. Encouraged by Paul to run our race in such a way that we make it to the finish line and the prize that awaits us personally.

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 2 Timothy 4:7 niv

We are running, but we are also aware we have to take some responsibility for how we run.
You can not let others dictate your pace to the detriment of your race. And never allow others to cut you off or disqualify you for what you are pressing on for in God. Others can help you but it is still your race to run.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 niv

We are not running without an audience.
Heaven is watching and heaven is cheering us on.
From the day heaven rejoices over your coming to Christ to the day you bring it home crossing the finish line - a great crowd is cheering you on. The head cheer leader is quite possibly God himself!

Something to think about...



No comments: