Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Time to rip the band aid off?

Some time ago I scraped my hand on a door frame when I was carrying something through it. So I slapped a band aid on it and carried on with my life.
A few days later I noticed a red trail going up my arm, leading into my armpit. Thought that looked a little weird. Was I morphing into a some mystical creature or would I become one of the new X-men? Nothing that exciting in reality.
It was at this point I ripped off the band aid to discover that what was hiding under there was an infection. Yucky. Hiding it under a band aid actually wasn't helping me...

Many of us when we have been hurt look for a band aid to cover that hurt. And with that band aid fully in place we try and get on with life.
Never wanting to remove it, hoping that was all that is needed and thinking all that it would do is remind us of the pain.

Injuries are injuries, whether they be physical or emotional.
And injuries don't heal properly when concealed and by trying to pretend they haven't happened.

I have to admit there is something uncomfortable about being honest with God. But in the end it is sometimes the only way to get whole. Confession is good for the soul they say.
Honesty can be a cathartic experience.

Jesus shared a story about 2 men praying to God one day.
The first was very religious and even picked on the guy next to him in his prayer. He thanked God he wasn't a screwed up mess like 'that guy'.
The second one for whatever reason with head bowed, came to God acknowledging that he had issues and needed God's grace.
Jesus wraps this story up by telling us that the second guy was the one who went away different from that experience.

So what I am trying to get across to you today?
Very simply this - that as hard or as scary as it might seem to you - be honest with God about your hurt, your pain, your struggles. Let His grace come to your rescue. Time won't help. Jesus will!
Please don't hide from you ultimate opportunity for healing. Rip that band aid off...

Something to think about...

No comments: