Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I Needed Directions

Before we moved to Taupo I regularly used to do stair climb repeats at Eastern Beach in Auckland. From memory I worked my way up to 12 sets each session.
As I needed to be in the area for some meetings, I planned to check it all out again.  And at the very least I thought it would add some variety to my normal training week.

But here was the issue...
I started off running along the road towards the end of the esplanade. When I got to the end I headed up a part that appeared to weave its way around behind a school on top of a hill. As I reached that area I quickly realised I had no idea where the path was taking me!
Would I get lost?
Would it take me so long to work my back to the beach that I missed my next appointment?
I made the decision to keep moving forward and that when I came across someone, that I would ask for directions.

Eventually I came across two old guys. I simply asked if the path would lead me to where I wanted and they said yes, but without much confidence in their tone.
So I keep going and 2km later I found a couple who had a dog and looked fit. Asked them the same question and they told me to keep going on the same direction I was.

As I carried on my running journey several thoughts crossed my mind...

1. When you are on a journey where you know where you want to go, but are unsure of truly how to get there, you do need others to help you along the path.
I think our spiritual journey is just like that!
We need others who have some better knowledge of the path to coach us along. We should never be afraid to ask for great advice.

2. Even with the advice I was still not 100% they were right!
Even after 2 different groups of people had advised me, I still had a little part of me lacking confidence in their advice. What if they wrong? What if I misinterpreted the advice?
That reminds me about the 'faith' aspect of our spiritual journey.
That no matter how much good advice we get, we still need to have faith that we will make it as planned. Faith does not equal complete comfort, but it offers the right measure of confidence, hope and direction to get you where God needs you to be.

Something to think about...

No comments: