Friday, September 12, 2014

“Am I my brother’s keeper?”

I think this is actually a really good question?
And maybe one that relates even better now to the world and generation we live in...

Early in Genesis you read this short account of Cain and Able.
Cain is really angry that God liked the offering Able gave to God a little more than his. And in the first recorded example of jealously and the power of it, hatches a plan to wipe out his brother.
God shows up after he has murdered his brother and asks Cain where his brother is to see what his response will be, not because He didn't know.

"Am I my brothers keeper?" Cain replies...

I think he asks that because he knows that is actually who was meant to be to Cain.
God doesn't respond to the question, because it goes without saying that he is.
They are brothers. Full stop. Brothers!

The word keeper comes from the Hebrew word shamar.
And it simply means to look out for, guard, honour, to save, protect.
Asking God if he should do that for his brother is like asking God one of the most ridiculous questions you could ever come up with.

I never just take one scripture in isolation.
I do my best to hunt down others that may relate to it throughout the whole of scripture to help me understand God's possible intention.

So when I also read...
That we are to love another.
That we are to treat follow believers as brothers and sisters.
That we need to meet together when and wherever possible.
That we should warn each other of where we are possibly going wrong along with encouraging each other.
That there are times we need to deal with a divisive person.
That we need to pass on what we have learned.
And that we need to make disciples - disciples by definition have brothers in their lives!

It paints this bigger picture that I am my brothers keeper...

Can I encourage you to look out for, guard, honour, to save, protect your brothers and sisters?
Don't just sit back and watch someone who professes to love Jesus shipwreck their faith and life.
Be wise on how you do it please...and never look for excuses to get out of our divine responsibilities.

Something to think about...

No comments: