Tuesday, March 04, 2014

I don't think you will ever want to leave...

Sometimes when you get somewhere, you find you don't want to leave...
I experienced that again recently with the cool change in the weather, I found myself staying far too long in the shower. Once I had experienced how warm it was, I found that I just didn't want to leave.
What eventually drove me from my sanctuary was actually the fear of how much electricity I was using!

And life with Christ is kind of like that as well.
Once you truly meet Him and build some relationship with Him, you find you don't want to leave.
Once you have spent some time in the presence of God, you find you don't want to leave.
Once you have experienced the goodness of God, it is pretty hard going back.

There was a lot about this faith that scared me, bothered me, and all sorts of 'othered' me, before I found out what it was a bit more like.
When I first saw people worshipping God with arms in the air, singing out loud, sometimes doing wiggly moves they called dancing...I wasn't sure that was where I wanted to go.
When I heard about this thing called 'the presence' I didn't know if that was crazy or only something for the so called 'special people',
And why would God want to bless me anyway after all I had done and even said about Him?

And yet when I tried to worship, when I sought to find out about 'the presence', when I began to accept God wanted to bless this crazy guy...it all made more sense...and I didn't want to leave!

Ask yourself why Moses was able to stay on a mountain for 40 days and nights essentially on his own?
How come he spent so much time in a special tent God gave him a design for?
Because once he found out what it was like, he found he wasn't so panicked to leave!

1 Peter 2:3 makes this little statement packed with meaning...
"now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."
It assumes that you hadn't before and that now you have, and in doing so you have found all how good it is. 

When I was first offered a curry I wasn't too excited. 
My expectation was that it was going hurt twice. Going in and coming out. 
I was pleased to report it was better than I imagined it would be and now I loooove curry.

Can I encourage you to taste a bit more of God and His Kingdom?
Worship Him even if it seems a little strange at first.
Spend time going after the very presence of God even it seems a little 'out there'.
Because when you do, and you truly find out what it is like...I don't think you will ever want to leave.

Something to think about....

No comments: