Thursday, October 10, 2013

Decision Making #4


One of the ways I have heard we can use to make good decisions, is it get advice.
But there is inherent risk with using this method for decision making.
If you get good advice and take it up, then that is good.
If you get dumb advice and take it up, then that is bad.
If you get good advice and don't anything with it, it is...

When it comes to getting advice, not any old advice will do!
What you and I need is Godly, wise, love based advice that will help us make godly, god honouring decisions.

Doesn't the Bible say that we should do this?

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22 niv

Of all the scriptures I have heard used to justify getting advice, this is the most quoted.
If you take this scripture in isolation it seems like you and I should get lots of advice.
That if we do we will get the decision right.
But here is the rub...
If we aren't honest about the process it is easy to manipulate the process.
If we get a broad spectrum of ideas and then choose the one we wanted to listen to the most, then haven't we continued to manipulate this process?

If you want the full counsel of God through scripture on this, then it is a good idea to look more at what He says on this subject.

The plans of the righteous are just, but the advice of the wicked is deceitful. Proverbs 12:5 niv

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice. Proverbs 27:9 niv

A young King asked two groups of advisors on how he should lead when he reached the thrown. One a young inexperienced group. The other a group who had experience.
He followed the former because it matched what he wanted to hear.
And it didn't work well for him!

So who do I look for in advisors to help me make great decisions?
- people who love Jesus as much as me or maybe even more.
- people who I know to the best of my ability do what is right in every area of their lives.
- people who love me enough to tell me stuff I don't want to hear sometimes.
- people who have more experience than me.
- people who God has placed over my life in some form of leadership.
- people who fear God enough to want to get the advice right.

So having plenty of advisors is one thing...having the right advisors is the better thing.
Then you will make great decisions!

Something to think about...

No comments: