Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Research


It maybe me just noticing it, but I have noticed people misquoting things a lot lately?
And what disturbs me the most around this, is the number of Christians 'quoting' the Bible, and when I have checked they actually had it really wrong.
Now I am not talking about interpretation...
I am not talking about an impression they have with the Spirit of God talking to them through something...

Just the other day someone said something like this..."you know how it says such and such in the Bible".
Now when they said it, it did sound sort of right. But I also had a little check in my spirit about it.
And that is problem.
I researched it myself, and found they had it wrong. Real wrong. And by sharing it with others, they had a huge potential to confuse at best and corrupt at worst what God is like and how He would like us to be.

I am finding more and more people are saying things and attributing it to God because it sounds right.
Sounding right does not make it right.

As humans we are susceptible to being swayed by our own hearts, prejudice and agendas.
Just like the argument that 'if it makes me happy to do something it must be God, because God wants me to be happy.'
God loves to make us happy, but not everything will make you happy.
When God disciplines His kids (which He says He will do because He loves us), it will not feel happy happy joy joy!
Unfortunately a good sounding idea can corrupt good theology.

What is the answer to this?
It is actually nice and easy - with some effort on our behalf.
And I personally think it is worth the effort.

First - be humble!
It is attractive to others and God.
'Know it all' types are so unattractive and tend to bully others with their inflated opinions. That is opposite to how we should act if we follow Jesus.
It is ok to acknowledge you don't know everything (even when you are a Pastor)...and let it drive you to my next point...

Second - do some research!
No matter how long you have followed God, you can't leave this habit behind.
God's Word actually encourages us to study and research, ponder and meditate.
You never graduate from it.
And when you think you have, I will predict one day you will get something of wrong...

Check this scriptures out with me...

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Acts17:11 NIV

Interesting that they are mentioned. Probably because they took the Word seriously enough to check what they were being taught.
I am not above these people. I check humbly everything I am taught by others.
That way it is reinforced in me when it right and corrected if it is not.
I take my relationship with Christ seriously enough to take ownership of the teaching I receive.

Psalm 101:2 says "I will study the way that is blameless"
Psalm 111 in the message version says "God's works are so great, worth a lifetime of study (research)."

Can I encourage you to research maybe a little more than you do right now?
Search the scriptures yourself and for yourself.
Don't blindly take in everything people tell you...and use the Bible as your own plum line. That way, things will make a lot more sense, and you will grow in your faith...

Something to think about...

No comments: