Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finish


Based on some study and teaching I have been doing lately for our Church, I have an observation...
I don't want this is be a negative thing today, but a challenge to us to look at our faith differently?

"Maybe the reason some fall away is because they never had a plan to finish?"

When I married my wife Suze, I wasn't just thinking about the day, the honeymoon or the next 10 years.
I was thinking about the end. Of my marriage going the distance.
When I first came to our Church here in Taupo, I was never just thinking about the first sunday or the the next.
I was thinking about the vision God had for it, how big, how influential and what I would be passing onto another generation.
And when I look at my life, especially my declared relationship with God through Jesus Christ...
I am constantly looking at it with my goal of Heaven in mind.
I want to finish up there. That is my ultimate prize.

What I see and have noticed is this...
Lot's of people start things.
New hobbies, jobs, roles and relationships.
Some people are seemingly professionals at it. New jobs or activities on a regular basis.
To the outside they can look like go getters with drive and passion.
Time will show you that many struggle to stick at anything long term.
'New' is seen as the only way to feel better. Commitment, dedication, persistence are for other people.

If you ask an Ironman athlete why they train to do a 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride and then cap it off with a full marathon...
They don't just say for the fun of it or it was just a good idea.
Anyone I have spoken to about it, do it because they want to finish!
They want the prize, which is in this case a medal and someone enthusiastically saying over the loud speakers "you are an ironman" as they cross the finish line.

As Christians we can't afford to look at life and faith like the world looks at most things.
If you do, you run a huge risk of stumbling and possibly even falling.
You and I need to be like those ironman athletes.
We need to remind ourselves again and again why we are following Jesus.
And ultimately it is because He wants us to win our prize...

Paul said these famous words...
"Run your race in such a way as to win the prize"
Meaning to not run because it suits you or fulfills some need in your life right now. Don't treat it is a hobby to use while it 'works for you'.
But treat this gift of life that God offers us as the opportunity to run the race that helps you gain the true prize.

Let's live today, tomorrow, in fact everyday...looking towards our finish line.
I think that will help you more than most other things.
It can motivate you, sustain you and finally get you home...

Something to think about...

2 comments:

Jack McNeill said...

Hi Dad Great Post

Emmaontheinternet said...

so true!