Wednesday, July 25, 2012

distracted


Have you ever wondered why the Bible talks about ‘fixing your eyes’ on Jesus?
I mean, it seems pretty obvious doesn’t it?
There can’t be much better thing to do than to look to Him?

If it is such a good idea to look to Jesus, and it is obvious, why then is it so hard sometimes?
And that is the point of what the Bible is trying to teach us I think…
While it may be good, obvious, right and all that sort of thing, many times we don’t do it.

Does that mean we are bad?
That there is something inherently wrong with us?
I don’t think so!
I think it is because we are easily distracted...
And when I ‘we’ I am most definitely including myself!

Confession time…
I sat down today and worked out all my distractions from the last week.
- Facebook
- TV Series that I watch regularly
- Checking out guitar effects pedals
- Rugby League games on Sky
Now these are not bad on their own and under control.
But when they distract me from my relationship with Jesus and also distract me from doing some things to help build His kingdom...then maybe they aren’t so good?
I can make all the excuses I like...but I know in my heart whether I am being distracted or not, whether my focus is first and foremost on Jesus or not?

So today, take a moment to consider how focused or how distracted you are.
Then make adjustments if you have too.
Don’t beat yourself up. Just make a change...

Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2 AMP

Something to think about…

No comments: