Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rules

We love to break the rules don’t we?
By ‘we’ I mean people in general…
If a sign says to not do something...there always seems to be someone who thinks it doesn’t apply to them.
If it is illegal to do something before a certain age...there are always many of us wanting to do it.

Some have said that “rules are meant to be broken”.
But is that something you can live by or just a catch phrase to throw out there when it suits us?

I have to admit that I always like to go above the speed limit. Not by much I must say.
It is easy for me to justify because I can say things like:
“Everyone is doing it.”
“I am a good driver.”
“The Police have a tolerance factor before giving you a ticket.”

In thinking about this today I realized that rules are not just meant for me.
When a sign says “do not enter”, it is not there just for me, it is there for the person who put it there.
When I break some rules thinking I am above that rule, I am actually saying that I am above the rule creator. That I am more important. And when you step back and look at it, that seems pretty arrogant doesn't it

Then let me throw in another component to this.
Especially when it comes to personal things.
When I don’t abide by someone else’s rules or wishes, is that really love? I mean, as people who say they love God, aren’t we meant to show love all the time.

Maybe that means others rules are something we can respect and show love for them through?
Kind of challenging isn’t it?
God hasn’t given us rules and guidelines in life just to control us. They are there to protect us as well.
On a deeper level, they are there to help us show respect for the one who gave them in the first place.

Something to think about…

No comments: