Friday, October 22, 2010

door

I opened a door for someone last night...
Actually I open doors for people all the time. This was something my mum taught me when I was really young.
It is the polite thing to do. The ‘right’ thing to do for others.

Christians are funny people I think...
We talk all the time about God opening doors.
We say things like...
“I won’t do it unless God opens the door”
“I am just waiting for the right door to open”
And that idea or theology is ok.
But I also wonder whether we take it too far?

Last night I opened a door for a guy as we left the gym.
I had no idea who he was. We had never said a word to each other before.
My opening the door created a response from him...a “thank you”.
Next thing we are walking down the stairs to the carpark engaged in some small talk.
We get to the carpark and now we are talking, really talking.
In the space of a few minutes we know each other’s name.
How many kids we have.
Where we moved from to come to Taupo to live.
What we love about our town.
All because I opened a door...

The thought I went away from that supposedly chance meeting was that I opened a door.
By simply opening a door, God opened a door.
That by my small effort...was God now doing even more with it?

Christians spend a lot of time waiting it seems to me!
Hoping that some opportunity in life or to reach out to someone else will just fall into their lap.
Maybe we need to open some more doors?
Open doors for someone else?
You just never know where it might lead?

Something to think about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opening the door is, at times, going outside our comfort zone. Where, we tend to rely on God more! Not a bad thing! Doing a good deed, without looking for reward, is what we all should strive to do. Worst that can happen is silence. Best, well that is in God's hands. HE knows the BIG PICTURE and where we are all at. A positive action or word can make a world of difference to a person. Yes the challenge is, Do IT.

Locky McNeill said...

Thanks for the comments Wal...
Much appreciated :)