Wednesday, August 11, 2010

manners

When you were growing up, were you told again and again to have good manners?
To say “please”.
To say “excuse me”.
To say “thank you”.
Funny how things go in cycles...now I am teaching my kids (well I am trying) to do the same.

Today I have been thinking about these ‘manners’ things.
Thinking about why we do it.
Thinking about what effect it has on me and those I practice them with?

Saying “thank you” is actually quite a powerful thing!
People seem to respond well to hearing it.
People even get upset when they think they should have heard it from someone...and then didn’t.

Part of what got me thinking about “thank you” was a
passage of scripture we shared from on Sunday.
Jesus said these words just before Lazarus came out a tomb where he had been dead for 4 days…

...Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me.” John 11:41

In fact Jesus said “thank you” a few times…
And each time something cool or supernatural happened.

He thanked God as he took those few loaves bread and fish...and fed 5,000 in one sitting.
He broke bread and thanked God during what we call the last supper...and then went to the cross for us!

Why say “thank you”?
Not just because it good manners...but because it is good!
You can’t really go wrong saying it.
And you may just have something cool or supernatural happen from it.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 simply says…
give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Something to think about…

No comments: