Wednesday, July 28, 2010

skin

Here is something you most likely didn’t know…
My belly button is not on right!
When I look in the mirror it seems like it is not in the centre. I thought they were supposed to be.
I kind of sits off centre a little. Weird!

My skin is also very pale.
I remember the day I got baptised for many reasons.
One being that it was a highlight of my spiritual journey.
The other being was that I was laughed at by nearly everyone there I think.
As I walked into the swimming pool area after getting changed, the first thing people noticed was not my angelic glow being so spiritual, but the glow of my Scottish heritage induced legs.

The reality is that we do care what others think.
At least a bit.
For many years I have heard people say “it doesn’t matter what others think” as though that it is a universal truth to live by...if you can ever make it that far and be the ultimate in maturity.
I now think it is only partly a good philosophy…

If you don’t care at all you will go around potentially unwashed, unkept...and unapproachable to others.
That takes the “it doesn’t matter” thing too far.

A better way to go is to have a better ‘point of reference’.
As humans we always care on some level what others think. It is part of our human condition, how we are wired.
But if you can change the ‘point of reference’, your opinion can change to be a little more balanced.

I have chosen to try and keep looking for the best ‘point of reference’ to compare myself to.
For me, that is God.
What He thinks about me is ultimately what I want to think of me.
God says that He made me to a specific plan.
He says that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

My belly button position.
My glow-in-the-dark legs.
They are all part of what God designed for me.
They are all part of what makes me who I am and how special I am to God.

So even in the middle of winter I will wear my shorts to the gym.
I no longer have an issue with my leg colour.
My ‘point of reference’ is changing to be more in line with how God sees me.

I am happier in the skin I am in now than before.
What about you?

Something to think about…

1 comment:

Emmaontheinternet said...

I'm diggin' this entry Locktron, not only have I just learnt that your belly button isn't quite centered.. I've also been able to shift my thoughts a bit for the better.

I've struggled with this concept before and not having a clue where to draw the line, often becoming unapproachable because of it but I like the way you explain how we just need a better point of reference to be able to balance ourselves out.

"What God thinks of me is ultimately what I want to think of me"

I like this and it's good to be reminded.