Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I don’t know if you are like me, but I have lots of questions!
Sometimes I know who to ask, other times I don’t.
Sometimes I find the answers, and other times I don’t.

The reality is that my world, your world, if you look at it long enough with some desire to comprehend it…it will ultimately cause you to come to a place of questioning it.
Things like “if the world was designed by someone all knowing and all powerful, why did they let it be so bad now?”
The whole “why do bad things happen to good people?” type stuff.

I was thinking about this recently and realized I can choose a lot of what happens in my life.
I can most times choose my life course, things like my career, my partner, where I live…that sort of stuff.
If I don’t like something or I think it will hurt me I can generally choose to get away.
I have even been known to escape, at least in my mind, by burying myself in some xbox gaming world.

There is a dynamic at play that seems so random.
I realized there is one choice I will never be able to make.
The choice of where I will be born!
I look at my life in the country I live and I can’t help but compare it to other countries around the world. And I wonder why I was born here, why I was born me?

Why was so-and-so born in Myanmar?
Why couldn’t we have swapped places?
Was this all by chance?

After I thought about this for a while I decided that these things are too hard for me to totally comprehend.
I decided that I had to look at this differently or I would spin into some depression over it. Inevitability you have to decide what your next move is going to be.
This is where you get to once again to choose.
While someone from Myanmar may not have many choices in their life right now…I have heaps.
I can choose to pretend there isn’t a problem…or I can choose to try and do something to help.

Who cares if the world looks random or out of control?
Maybe I am the person who got the better deal in life just so I can pass on some of the blessing I have received to someone else?

simple steps
Take some time to think about the randomness of life, and why you were born where you were born. Think about one thing you can do right now to make a difference in a life where they don’t have much choice.

simple words
“Whatever you do for the least of these…you did for me” Jesus – Matthew 25:34-40
Do good – Psalm 37:3 & 27

Something to think about….

No comments: