Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I have a favourite café I go to in Botany about twice a week for a caffeine fix! In fact I have spots all over Auckland where I know where to go.
Many times I plan my travel across my city based on the coffee.
...yes I am a bit addicted!

The other day I went to the above café for a ‘fix’.
I found the young lady behind the counter struggling away with what could only be described as a poor excuse for a pen. All it was, was the inside refill part of the pen. I guess the rest of the pen gave up sometime during the day.

I stood there for a moment thinking how crazy this was.
Why use such a stupid writing device?
Couldn’t another pen be found to record my precise order of a triple shot latte, large cup, no sugar...take away?

Then a simple thought crossed my mind...
Why not offer them the pen that I had in my bag?

Even though she seemed a little embarrassed that her customer was providing something they needed, they thanked me and I left with my coffee feeling a quite good about myself. It was a nice feeling doing something, even though it seemed small, for someone with no real agenda.

That was a few days a go and then today I had the opportunity to call past again for another ‘fix’.
That same lady was behind the counter.
She greeted me with a large smile and pointed me out to the other staff as the guy who gave them his pen. It seemed to have had an impact on them beyond what I thought it ever would.
I mean, it was just a pen...or was it?

The writer in Galatians said “as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people”.
Luke said this about Jesus in his book called Acts “he went around doing good”.

‘Doing good’ is not just about big things.
It is something we can practice in small ways at any time.

I think ‘doing good’ impacts peoples lives even more now as they just don’t expect it.
It is strange to them when someone does something unmerited.

‘Doing good’ no matter how small it is, bridges gaps between out lives that we can not naturally cross.It definitely opens a way for us to connect.
And it feels really good!

Why don’t you give it a try?

No comments: