Thursday, January 17, 2008

I have just been on a fantastic holiday with my family!
We had several weeks back down where I originally come from in Invercargill.
It was the first time in 7 years that the whole family had gotten together, so was a very special time for us.

My uncle was one of the family who met us at Invercargill airport on Christmas Eve.
He hasn’t changed much.
And true to form he wore his favourite sweatshirt. A thinning grey sweatshirt with Les Mesirables on the front.
He got it some 20 years a go while in the UK when he saw the stage show.
So here he is wearing that same old shirt.We joked about it.
He even wore again especially for me when he saw us off at the airport 2 weeks later.

Beyond the fact I am talking about an old sweatshirt...there is more meaning to it for me.
Les Mesirables is my favourite stage show!
I have seen it twice now and would watch it again!!!
I love the story, the story of how God can do something amazing in your life if you let him.
Stories like that inspire me!

I also watched a dvd called Amazing Grace over the break.
Again it is a story about what God did through one man in England many years ago. How even though he faced mounting health problems William Wilberforce was instrumental in removing the slave trade, plus many other social reforms to benefit the everyday people.

In fact I love any movie or story where someone has an amazing effect on other peoples lives. Movies like Forrest Gump, Mr Hollands Opus...the list goes on...
They wind my up big time!
They remind me that God can use anyone who is wanting to be used.
They remind me that my circumstances don’t have to be a restriction.
They remind me that I can do something special in this world!

Can I encourage you to start 2008 encouraged?
If you feel like it is just another year, that it is more of the same, then grab something to watch that will inspire you to believe for more.
Watch a great show or movie.
Grab a book about someone that God has used.

It could be just what you need right now?

No comments: