Wednesday, July 19, 2006

People have a tendency to make things we call ‘blanket statements’.
While they may have some wisdom about them, sometimes they can also box you into ‘thinking’, that stops you from looking at other possibilities…

A common blanket statement is...“don’t worry what other people think”

The small element of wisdom in this statement will protect you from letting others put you off fulfilling a dream or a goal. The flip side, the danger side, is that it can also stop you hearing from God!

Wooo, what are you saying I hear you cry?

The 3rd key on learning to hear from God on big things...is to listen to those around you.

Sadly I have watched many well meaning disciples spend all of themselves on a dream or a goal that has never worked. They were so focused on it that it consumed them, and eventually wore them out when it didn’t come to pass.
These people all had a similar trait. They didn’t like anyone questioning the dream or offering some guidance. They sometimes looked at everyone around them as enemies to the vision.
Therefore they miss out on God ordained guidance/support/help that was put there to bless them and help them get it right.

When I was new to Christianity people around me used to say crazy stuff like...I see the call of God on your life.
This motivated me to work out with God if they were right or not. They saw something with me that I could not
necessarily see myself at the time. It didn’t mean I was less intelligent. It was simply God’s design at work.
Also over the years I have taken great comfort from checking big decisions out with people I trust. I value their opinion and recognise the fact that God can use their speech to guide me, or to tweak me.

I have found that most people are not out there trying to destroy me.
The valued friends and leaders around me want the best for me. So when I talk to them, that is the angle I know they are coming from.
Other people have something we can never have personally. An ability to see us from the outside.
This is meant to work to your advantage not against you.

Job 15:8
Do you limit wisdom to yourself?

Is such a challenging thought…
Below is part of the answer...

Proverbs 13:10
Wisdom is found in those who take advice

So if you are facing big decisions this week...find someone to talk too and weigh up the wisdom they might share with you.

No comments: