Wednesday, December 04, 2019

This Little Light of Mine

One of the seemingly most crazy things I ever experienced as a new believer in Christ was being in a Church and them singing an old song called "This Little Light of Mine".
Why was it so crazy?
For some reason the Pastor thought it a good idea to encourage everyone as they sung it to jump up on the chairs, to wave their thumb side to side like a candle, and sing it out with passion.
As someone pretty new to whole following Jesus thing it was a pretty strange thing to witness.
I didn't know whether to join in or hide.
Whether to laugh, cry or run screaming from the building...

The upshot of all this supposed craziness is that it left me with an indelible memory.
When scripture or someone else reminds me that God likes us be light to the world, I think back to that moment, I smile to myself, and then I think just how dramatic and impactful my light could be for Him.

As the song goes and the scripture it is based on, Jesus said this very clearly...
"Let your light shine"

You have a light that Christ gives you, and you also have the power to switch it on or off it seems.
Jesus goes on to explain you have light so don't cover it.
Try not to hide it.
He has made you a light for a very special reason I believe...

Sometimes when my wife and I go for evening walks it gets dark before we get home.
Suze is not a fan of walking over terrain that is rough in the dark so to give her what she needs in that moment, I turn on my phone torch mode and light our way home together.

Right now your light could bring comfort to someone who desperately needs it? To someone whose life journey and path has been rough and not kind.
Your light could bring them clarity. Bring them a measure of peace.
Your light could in fact lead them to Jesus!

Sing it with me..."This little light of mine, I'm gonna let is shine!"

Something to think about...

No comments: