Friday, April 07, 2017

Looking to stir things up?

Here is one of the reasons I continue to read as broadly from scripture as possible...
Because I need my theology challenged on a regular basis!

Theology for me is important.
But I have also found that for me and many others I have witnessed, it can become a firm box in which we hold fast to ideas and ideals.
It has the danger of becoming for me the filter by watch we test God out and His ways.

Theology by definition is ...
“the study or science of God.” Millard Erickson
“The science of God or of religion; the science which treats of the existence, character, and attributes of God, his laws and government, the doctrines we are to believe, and the duties we are to practice. . . the science of Christian faith and life.” Webster Dictionary 

I believe theology is the label by which you summarise your current understanding of God based on your own study and your own experiences.
Theology for me should be a basis of my belief, never the totality of my belief.
If I truly believe God wants to mould me, grow me and more over an entire lifetime I need His input all my days.

That is what I love about His Word.
I read it many times and it challenges the theology I have created for myself.
When I pendulum swing toward justice and judgement based on what I see in this world, His word reminds me also of His grace and His mercy.
When I think I have God all sorted in my theology, I read an account in scripture where God doesn't match the theology prevailing at the time.

Be brave and be humble.
Get your face into His word as much as you can and let God challenge the snot out of ya!

Something to think about...

No comments: