Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Creating your own Heritage

I think a lasting heritage is actually created on purpose.
While not always because of a desire for a heritage, but at least from considering something worth while enough to make it a big deal for future generations...
When we take the time to make our world a better place in some way, that creates something of a heritage.

I heard many years a go when our boys were still little, that traditions in the home are never forgotten.
It made me think back to highlights of my childhood.
How every year Christmas followed a certain pattern. Which relatives were visited when and how things would go. When I look back on those times now I am very grateful for that part of my heritage and it stirs me to do something for my family now that is special.
Another tradition were the family holidays and the fantastic experiences and memories that created for me.

With all that in mind we decided on something that seemed simple at the time.
Every Saturday morning I make my boys pancakes.
I have been doing this nearly all their lives, so that works out to be at least 10 years of pancakes. That equates to something like 6,240 round disks of goodness over that time!
Even when circumstances didn't permit the saturday morning part to be fulfilled, a 'rain check' has always been used.

Now that is just pancakes, a heritage based on food.
What about eternal things? What traditions do we have that will become part of their heritage?
One would be their exposure to our faith. The weekly meeting with others at Church services and special events. Their Connect Groups they attend. Their seeing God at work in peoples lives.
Second our encouraging them to have their own relationship with Christ.
That is heritage I can help generate for them that I trust will have far reaching effect in their lives.

My challenge to us this week is that we create heritage on purpose.
That we see the impact of our lives for what they can potentially mean. Never lives that are accidental in nature. But something that could impact this generation now and well into the future.

Let us be the people who future generations talk about, learn from and even preach about...

Something to think about...

1 comment:

lindarose said...

I love your posts Locky!