Wednesday, January 16, 2013

injured & alone


We started out the evening run all fine. Except this time I joined a fast group, partly because after many weeks of being encouraged to, I gave in and thought it was worth a crack. Unfortunately a few k's into the run, my right calf muscle reacted negatively. It packed a sad. It spat the dummy.
And because of previous negative experiences with the said calf muscle, I knew I had to back off.
That led to some interesting moments. Partly because they got me thinking beyond my injury, to Kingdom of God things.
Here are a few for you to think on. Maybe you can relate to them right now?
Others maybe prompt you to some action? I leave that between you and God, as you read...

[being injured makes you feel isolated]
That moment I felt something go wrong in my leg, it slowed me down. And in doing so it separated me from the group.
You feel not just sore from the injury but also isolated due to being left behind. You realize you now have a problem you are potentially facing on your own.

Sometimes when something goes wrong in life we can't go at the same speed or direction as everyone else for a time. It is just not possible.
You can suddenly feel left behind by the people you thought were traveling along with you.
Some people panic at this point. Others push hard trying to ignore the problem and hoping on hope that it will go away.

[someone slowing down for you helps you feel accepted]
After a small amount of walking and stretching and praying it would be ok it wasn't.
At the same time I came across someone from the group. They had stopped and waited for me realising I wasn't there anymore.
My first reaction?
Not thanks or gratitude.
But a questioning of why they had stopped...
It was a false humility thing driven partly by embarrassment and pride.
It was at that moment that I suddenly felt connected to the group again even though I wasn't part of it. One person made all the difference for me.
Their stopping and concern removed the isolation feelings. It didn't rid me of the injury...but it did help me.

So often when stuff happens to people I see the same thing happen.
God sends someone to help, and they in turn send them away.
Sometimes it is because of pride.
Most of the time it is a false humility thing.
I know this, because it has been me too many times.

[finding your way home reminds you that people won't always be there]
When my helper left to go catch up on the group I was in a better place to get home, as slow as it was going to be, than before when we had met up.
But I still needed to get home.
I was alone again for a period of time, but it was better than we I first got hurt.

On the journey to getting home or getting better, you need to realise that people won't always be holding your hand.
To expect otherwise is not fair on others and ultimately unhealthy for you.
Sometimes we need to walk alone for a period so we can wrestle privately and get through.
The 'thing' that will get you through at this point is not just determination or stubbornness.
But a new found reliance of God.
Struggle, injury, loss...all those things are hard. Very hard!
And at that moment that is when God wants to show who He really is to you.
He wants to come along side of you personally and walk you home.

The wrap up to this is simple.
If you are injured you will feel different. You will feel isolated. But never panic!
God will also send someone to help you. Don't send them away when He does. They are there to help you!
Don't be afraid of time on your own as you try to get better. God will be there with you no matter what!

Something to think about...

No comments: