Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Faith & Finking


As I was flicking through facebook just before Hurricane Sandy hit those poor people on the US east coast, there were a number of posts.
People were putting images of the approaching hurricane. Some were plainly silly.
Images of flying prehistoric animals and cartoon characters swirling in the hurricane breeze were plainly fake.
But what disturbed me was an image of the Statue of Liberty looking like it was going under water.
The waves were crashing to near the middle of the famous lady.
A news station banner adorned the bottom of the image as though it was taking directly from a news feed.

I thought the picture looked a little strange so I did some research.
What I found disturbed me. So much so I have thought a lot about it since then.
You see, lots of people were posting it to their facebook profiles.
And what they were posting was an image from the movie The Day After Tomorrow.
A global warming movie where the main action centres around the flooding and eventual freezing of New York City.

God has asked His people to be specific in who they actually are.
One thing he asks is that His people be people of faith and not just sight.
Faith for me is really important. It is not just my religion as many have watered the meaning down to.
Faith for me is trust and action. All under the banner of my devotion to Jesus Christ.
But faith is also using my brain to work out what God is calling me to trust Him with. How He specifically wants me to minister to my world.

Why did I start with that example about a fake image?
Simply because many Christians were the ones reposting the fake image.
It scared me to see people blindly and unthinkingly posting something as truth when it wasn't.

I would encourage anyone to who wants to follow Jesus to strive to get the balance right.
Be wise and think about what you are seeing and doing because of what you see.
You can not just trust what you see. Our world has become masterful at the fake of everything. In fact it prides itself in its ability to mimick the real.
We need to be wise about what we take on board as truth. Remembering that truth first foremost comes from God Himself.

The only time to not think too much is when God is asking you to take a step of faith.
Think too much and analyse too much...and you inevitably paralyse yourself.

Something to think about...

No comments: