Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Subsitute

My wife Suze read something to me that caught my attention the other day.
It went something like this:

“Better than the real thing...Egg Substitute”

Have you had egg substitute? I have!
When I was in Japan a few years back I was excited to see a buffet breakfast at the hotel I was staying at.
My excitement turned to horror as I tried to swallow what I thought was scrambled eggs.
The taste wasn’t right.
The consistency wasn’t right.
It was kind of like eggs, but in reality it didn’t even come close. I guess that if you had never had eggs before it might pass as close enough? Then again, this muck could quite possibly put someone off real eggs for life!

That statement got me thinking…
How much do we settle for a substitute over the real thing? It is possible to do this with spiritual things as well as edible things (actually those ‘eggs’ were not edible!).
There is no better substitute for the real thing...even if the substitute thinks it is better!

Jesus said those famous words...that his desire for us is to have “life and all it’s fullness”. John 10:10
I don’t think that Jesus would rather you have a substitute over the real thing.
So don’t settle for the substitute!

Don’t settle for other things over a relationship directly with Him.
Don’t settle for average and normal over supernatural.
Don’t settle for a podcast if you can get the real thing with a Church.
Don’t settle for facebook over hanging out with some people.
Don’t settle for someone else’s interpretation over reading the Word for yourself.
Don’t settle for struggles over freedom.
Don’t settle for sickness over health.
Don’t…well you probably get my point?

Substitute is there only to help or to fill a gap.
It never replaces or supersedes the real thing.
Don’t settle for anything less in your life!
Go after God yourself and have the ‘fullness factor’.

Something to think about…

No comments: