Wednesday, September 06, 2006

God wants you to think!

Why do I say that?
Well firstly I believe God gave us all a brain.
Secondly, God wants us to use it to all it’s designed ability. That bit he leaves up to us!

Last week I was looking up some trivia questions on the net and found a site that told me the names of the “3 Wise Men”. I was shocked! Who was able to work this out?
What amazed me even more is that I haven’t been able to find any record in the Bible of “3 Wise Men”. What it does say is that there were a group called the ‘Magi’. No mention of 3 men…

It reminded me to always know for myself what the Word of God says…
Yes listen to what is taught and be teachable, while always checking it out for yourself and coming to terms with it yourself.

I love quoting that passage in Philippians 2:12
“continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling”

I think God wants us to understand. He wants us to think.
God is not so much interested in out religious stories or folk tales that can be passed down.
He wants you and I to understand personally what he thinks.
He wants you and I to know what he has done and what he is about to do.

That is again the beauty of the time we live in.
A time where most of us can read and most of us have access to the Word of God.

Please understand that I am not encouraging you to be cynical about everything that is taught you. That would be swinging the pendulum too far. Instead, I want to encourage you to learn about our faith for yourself. Ask questions, wrestle with it.
Then you will feel more connected to it and understand better how to explain what you believe to others.

No comments: