Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Foot in Mouth vs Mouth and Heart


Have you heard the phrase "foot in mouth"?
Maybe just the mention of it triggers you to remember how you have done just that?

The phrase "put your foot in your mouth" means to say something by accident that embarrasses, upsets, or offends someone else" - Cambridge Dictionary 
It has apparently morphed into the phrase "putting your foot in it", meaning essentially the same thing.
The upshot is that it is probably not good.

Sometimes we say things that hurt and are probably a bit dumb.
And I am just as guilty of it as anyone I know...

Another phrase that sounds similar maybe, but has a completely different meaning and outcome, is found at both ends of your Bible.

Moses in Deuteronomy 31 talked about the use of Mouth and Heart.
Then Paul teaches in Romans 10 about Mouth and Heart, seemingly referring back to what Moses taught, and then adding some powerful next steps.

It makes sense to me that if it appears so much in scripture and via two of arguably pretty influential leaders, then maybe I should take special note of it?
The idea they are trying to convey. The application it could bring for my life right now?

I honesty think that is not enough to know something when it comes to faith.
A whole new level opens up when we believe it in our hearts and talk about it openly.
Faith that apparently that God seems to take notice of is more aligned with belief, speech and action than just merely knowing about it.

I know making statements about faith lately makes some nervous.
I agree with you, but it shouldn't stop you from saying what you believe in your heart to God and to others (appropriately).
What you believe in your heart is probably the most true thing that you believe.
Therefore something you should pay attention to. 
And especially since what comes out of us scripture tells, comes from the heart.

So let's avoid Foot in Mouth as best we can.
And let's maybe embrace Mouth and Heart a bit more...

Something to think about...

No comments: