Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Even if God doesn't, I still will...

It has been something I have been thinking about during my times of prayer and reflection this week...
Even if God doesn't, I still will...
Sometimes it feels more like a question than a statement.
Sometimes it feels more like what I want to believe.

In my over quarter century of trying my best to do what I believe He wants me to do, I have certainly faced a few moments of question.
What if moments.
Where I wonder how I will be and will react if God doesn't do what I hope He will do?
Sometimes it has been the timing of something.
I truly hoped and prayed for an answer to come by a certain time, and that time has passed without my prayer being answered like I hoped?

Maybe you can relate?

Dena Martin Joseph phrased it like this...
Even if He doesn’t…
Even if He doesn’t save my marriage.
Even if He doesn’t heal my child.
Even if He doesn’t provide me with a new job.
Even if He doesn’t save me from bankruptcy court.
Even if He doesn’t give me a relationship with my estranged father.
Even if He doesn’t rescue my spouse from addiction.

Whatever your "even if He doesn’t" might be - I want to encourage you to hold on to what you already have as you look to your future with a measure of hope in Him.

17Though the fig tree should not blossom,
    nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
    and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
    and there be no herd in the stalls,
18yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
    I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
Habakkuk 3:17-18 esv

That is a big point for me!
Salvation...
If God only gives me salvation am I ok with that?
Scripture and God's character clearly show He wants to and does do far more that for us, because He is our Father and we are his children.
But I want to be ok with God and what He does.
I want to have truly in my heart "even if God doesn't, I still will..."
I still will follow, I will still trust, I will not give up in the hope I have in Him...even if what I am looking for personally doesn't happen now, later or even ever!

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego famously replied to a king determined to be honoured above God...

17If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. 18But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.
Daniel 3:17-18 niv

I am praying for myself.
And I am praying for you...
That even if God doesn't ________, we will still trust Him!

Something to think about...

No comments: