Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Straight Up

There was this song from many years a go that I will mention, and in doing so further show my age...

Straight up now tell me
Do you really want to love me forever oh, oh, oh
Or am I caught in a hit and run?


I couldn't remember who sung it when it popped into my head, and my research told me it was an early Paula Abdul song. Now I am truly showing my age...

What I am getting at with this thought?
Simply this...
That ultimately we need to be 'straight up' or we need to hear things 'straight up'.

When you are in love with someone you really want to know if the feelings are mutual. 
And just as Paula was wrestling with this, it drives you crazy when you don't know. 
You don't want to invest yourself into something that is not right or going in the right direction.

When Jesus was talking with those closest to him you see he was pretty 'straight up'.
He didn't sugar coat things or water them down.
He just said it as it was.
One minute he is telling Simon he has a special role to play after he leaves.
The next he is telling the same guy off in very strong terms.
Another time he challenges the stupid teaching of the overly religious.
And the another time he speaks gently and firmly to a women caught in adultery.

I wonder if you are like me?
I want to things to be 'straight up'.
I want people to be that way with me and I want God to be that way with me.
I even want to be that way with others.

Maybe this week you need to be 'straight up' with someone and say something that is needing to be said?
Maybe you need someone to be 'straight up' with you and share some truth that will ultimately help you be a better version of you?
Paul taught us that both are the best for us when we "speak to each other in love".

Something to think about...

No comments: