Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I am in Debt

I am sure you have had some experience with owing something to someone, having something commonly known as a debt...
If you are like me, then maybe you have had one of the following:
- Lent money from a Family Member
- Owed someone a favour after they did something for you
- Hire Purchase Agreement
- Mortgage on a Property

In lots of ways and in all sorts of circumstances, you and I will owe someone or have a debt to someone or something all through our lives.

And as you get older, those particular debts will most likely change.
When I was a teenager I owed someone some money I borrowed to help me purchase a car.
As an adult, I owed a bank a lot of money to help us buy our first home.
And even though those debts no longer exist, I find I am still in debt.
I now owe something to others. 

I read this yesterday while sitting at an airport waiting to board a flight home...

Give to everyone what you owe them:
If you owe taxes, pay taxes;
if revenue, then revenue;
if respect, then respect;
if honour, then honour.
Paul who wrote this, starts like I have today, about financial debt which we all understand to some level.
Then he takes it to a conclusion that is even more important, deep, and even Kingdom based.
As followers of Jesus we owe a lot and in all sorts of ways.
If I don't owe money, that doesn't mean I don't have a debt anymore. I just have a different debt that still needs servicing.

He even goes on to teach this...
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
Paul's encouragement to us is that any debt should be paid.
And just as the world looks less than favourably on people who run away from their debts, it is the right thing for Jesus disciples to pay what they owe.
My life doesn't belong to me anymore. Paul said something similar as well.
I ultimately owe a debt to my Saviour that I more than willing to pay.

May the debt you face not just worry and concern you. The important thing with any debt is you make payment towards it, in whatever way you can and should.
May you be challenged like I have been, to tackle the rest of week motivated to love, to share and to honour.

Something to think about...

No comments: