Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Best advice I got...


One of the first bits of advice I ever got when I started in ministry was this...

To be ready to say you are sorry. To be quick to apologise.

Now this initally seemed strange to me. Maybe because I had never heard a leader apologise for anything.
If they made a call on something and it was deemed a mistake, most people just seemed to move on.
I noticed most leaders envariably tried to justify mistakes or errors in judgement.
There was this perception that because of the 'position', that you got a different set of standards to work under.

I am grateful for that advice from that pastor many years ago.
While it is hard to live by, I have found it to be very effective and a huge weight release for me.

As much as it might shock you...I do make mistakes sometimes.
Sometimes I read a situation wrong.
Sometimes what I say doesn't sound right or get processed in the way I thought it would, and the listener gets offended.
Sometines I have been a grumpy jerk.
In all these cases and many others, I want to apologise as fast as possible.
While someone else may have got it wrong, I do not see myself as completely innocent on all counts.

Pride tells us to protect ourselves.
It can convince us ever so slowly that we are better in some way than others.
But pride always robs someone! Either the other person, you, or both!
It blinds us to the reality of who we are and what we are really like.

The Bible tells us that God gives grace to the humble and opposes the proud.
It kind of makes sense therefore to humble yourself sometimes and just say sorry!
Better that than the converse being the result.

Check out this passage as well. There are plenty like it!
Romans 12:18 niv
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

To have a Suck Proof Life you need to make sure you follow little bits of advice like this.
Suck it up when you get it wrong or you have hurt someone else and apologise.
Again it is written...love covers over a multitude of sins...

Something to think about...

No comments: