Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness - Part 19


Sacrifice is a word used a lot especially today as we remember those who gave their lives over the many wars last century.
But I found myself today asking what the link was between sacrifice and my pursuit of happiness.
And you know what, they are very much linked...

A guy called Paul wrote a lot of the New Testament in the Bible and he was at many times sacrificing much of who he was and what many would have felt entitled to in his role.

Check out what he says to one Church that he wrote to…

But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. Philippians 2:17

He was a man of sacrifice.
And he was a man who sounded happy…

Romans 12:1 says this challenging statement...
I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

Paul recognized that a life truly lived doesn’t avoid sacrifice, it actually embraces it and lives fully in it.

This has all got me thinking and I have come to some conclusions for my life:

The opposite of sacrifice invariably leads to selfishness

Without sacrifice nothing is ever achieved that has a lasting effect and value.

Sacrifice, once it has done its works leads to satisfaction.

1 Peter 2:5 says this...
...you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Do not worry. Embrace sacrifice as put of who you can be.
Use your life to change your world and you will give yourself happiness in this life and the next.

Something challenging to think about…

No comments: